What is EFM?
Ethernet in the First Mile (EFM) describes ethernet services delivered over traditional copper pairs.
The ‘First Mile’ refers to the communication network that links the customer premises equipment to the local telephone exchange. This is also referred to by providers as the ‘last mile’.
Will EFM suit your business?
Business customers are increasingly using bandwidth-hungry applications and, at the same time, deploying applications that require a highly available and highly responsive network. Existing and new multimedia applications and unified communications (e.g. VoIP) are placing greater importance on the Internet as a front line business tool and profit centre. However, successful businesses realise this needs to be balanced with keeping costs under control.
The Burstfire Ethernet in the First Mile (EFM) service is designed to supply wideband (up to 20Mbps) data services to corporate customers, delivered via a single Ethernet port. Burstfire EFM is designed to provide high speed, high quality and highly reliable access to the Internet or Burstfire Private IP Networks and is built on the carrier-grade Burstfire network.
- Available speeds of access range from 3 Mbps to 20 Mbps
- Available at distances up to 3km from the exchange
- All equipment is owned, operated and maintained by Burstfire for the life of the service
- Help Desk is available 24 x 7 x 365 for technical support
- Enhanced service assurance options
- Web portal available for status and performance monitoring and reporting
- Optional Managed Router Service with Cisco equipment for provision of enhanced functionality
- Optional Managed Firewall services are also available
- Actual speed available depends on cable distance to the telephone exchange, cable quality and other factors
- Multi-level QoS end-to-end when used with Burstfire VPLS Networks
- Support for transparent VLANs across Burstfire VPLS Networks
- Low latency access service ideal for high bandwidth and interactive business applications
- Fibre-like access speeds into the Internet or private network at a lower cost
- Simple upgrade path from 3Mbps to 20Mbps (depending on cable distance and quality)
- Multiple physical cables therefore more tolerant to cable faults or service disruption
- Fully managed and maintained hardware to ensure service availability as required by business customers
- Comprehensive network monitoring and support services to ensure help is available when required and capable of finding and fixing faults, should they occur
- NTU presents an Ethernet interface to the customer’s equipment for ease-of-use and compatibility with customer firewall or router.
For Further information or for an EFM quote please get in touch